THIS IS WHY GREEKS ARE IN PERFECT SHAPE! THE PERFECT DIET PLAN!
The Mediterranean diet is focused on the consumption of olive oil, one of the healthiest foods you can eat. Olive oil is an excellent source of healthy fats which are great for our cardiovascular health. The Mediterranean diet is widely considered the healthiest, and is the only diet for which the WHO (World Health Organization) has no complaints.
The Mediterranean region is an area where people usually consume healthy and homemade foods. Scientists have done several studies on the diet have a low obesity rate and significantly lower risk of diabetes, heart disease and high cholesterol than the rest of the world.
Besides olive oil, the Mediterranean diet includes olives, mushrooms, beans, fruit, fish and water. People in this region rarely eat red meat and processed foods which have a high percentage of fats and calories. Due to the low amount of calories, fat and cholesterol, the Mediterranean diet can reduce the cholesterol percentage in your blood and keep the blood pressure steady, without depriving the body of the essential nutrients it requires.
HERE ARE THE MAIN PRINCIPLES AND RULES OF THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET:
- Drinking small amounts of yogurt and eating a bit of cheese due to the calcium content;
- Consuming wholemeal starch and cereal and products made from them such as wholemeal bread, rice and bran;
- Eating grilled or cooked fish 2-3 times a week – the recommended types are salmon or mackerel;
- Eating boiled eggs a few times a week;
- Eating red meat not more than once a week;
- Eating 2 vegetarian meals once a week;
- Consuming different types of herbs, cereal, fresh fruit, legumes and vegetables in order to lower the levels of cholesterol in the blood;
- Consuming nuts such as almonds often for snacks due to their high healthy fat content;
- Eating boiled veggies;
- Using olive oil for the preparation of meals;
- Desserts are swapped for fresh fruit;
- Drinking tea and coffee with no sugar in moderate amount;
THESE ARE THE FOODS THAT ARE NOWHERE TO BE FOUND ON THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET PLAN:
- Fried food (fries, barbecue, burgers, pizza);
- Processed food;
- Fast food;
- Sausages and ham;
- Cakes and candy;
- High-fat processed types of meat.