17 Signs Which Indicate Mold Illness and How to Treat It!
You may not be able to smell or see it, yet mold can still be growing in your home and it can be the reason you are not feeling well. Mold poisoning can be really harmful for your health. However, how can we tell if we have mold poisoning? Continue reading and find out.
Doctors won’t help you, since conventional medicine does not regard mold as a problem. Additionally, mold poisoning can mimic a number of conditions, and its symptoms are not specific.
What is Actually Mold?
Molds are various fungi types which grow in filaments and which reproduce by creating small spores which sprout and fly away. These are invisible to the naked eye. Molds grow in humid, warm and damp locations, both outside and inside. Mold can be a problem even if you live in dry areas such as Nevada or Arizona. Moreover, it can occur as a consequence of floods, poorly ventilated bathrooms and water leaks.
Molds can grow in the corner near the shower, in the showerhead and it the entire bathroom, especially if it is not properly ventilated. It can attach to papers, books, furniture, carpets, clothes, pets and shoes. Mold can circulate in the air system, and particularly if you don’t change your filters often.
Furthermore, there is a complex mixture of contaminants present in the dust and air in water-damaged buildings. This results in a toxic chemical stew. Moreover, mold produces toxins known as mycotoxins, which are present on fragments and spores of mold that get released into the air. There is not one toxins which causes mold illness, but the cause is the water-damaged area.
Half of all the buildings in America are water-damaged, which leads to mold growth and possibly mold illness. The majority of people spend quite a lot of time in their homes or at their workplace, so the chances of mold exposure are quite high.
What Makes Mold an Issue?
Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) is a category of illnesses and mold toxicity falls in this category. Ritchie Shoemaker, MD, who is author of several books, knows everything about mold.
He explains that CIRS is a chronic and acute systematic inflammatory response, which is acquired after an exposure to an environment of a building which is water-damaged with resident toxigenic organisms, some of them inflammagens, actinomycetes, bacteria and fungi.
Dr. Shoemaker added that 24% of people are not able to create adequate antibody responses. These are the ones who compromise more than 95% of individuals with illness caused by buildings which are water-damaged.
We have reached our next topic, and it is the role of the DNA.
What Makes Some People More Susceptible Than Others?
As previously mentioned, about 24% of the population has genetic vulnerability to mold toxicity. These people have HLA-DR, which is an immune response gene. Actually, 95% of mold toxicity occurs in this group.
People who are genetically susceptible to mold cannot recognize specific toxins as such, so they enter the body. Then, as a consequence, the toxins cause a persistent inflammatory response. Most people don’t even know that they are genetically susceptible.
Mold illness is a grave health problem. It happens when the immune system is out of whack. Namely, CIRS is not able to heal on its own, it is not going to abate and it will cause illness if it is not treated. The illness is built into the DNA, and when triggered the symptoms can persist for various years.
What is CIRS?
In order to diagnose CIRS, the experts need certain information.
- Symptoms, signs and history which are consistent with biotoxin exposure.
- A genetic predisposition to an illness which is related to biotoxin exposure which are based on HLA susceptible haplotype identification.
- Certain abnormalities which are documented by VCS testing.
- Biomarkers which are consistent with endocrine, vascular, and neuroimmune abnormalities which are characteristic for CIRS. In case you have a history which is consistent with biotoxins exposure, an abnormal VCS test, and a susceptible genotype, the chances are that you have the CIRS abnormalities.
Signs of Mold Illness
- Trouble with executive function and focus, brain fog and memory problems
- Fatigue, post exercise fatigue and malaise and weakness
- Ice pick pain, persistent nerve pain, joint pain sans inflammatory arthritis, pains and aches and muscle cramping
- Tingling and numbness
- Blurred vision, red eyes and light sensitivity
- Asthma-like symptoms, air hunger, shortness of breath, cough and sinus problems
- Appetite changes, diarrhea, nausea and abdominal pain
- Weight gain and resistance to weight loss
- Metallic taste
- Night sweats and similar issues with regulation of the temperature
- Increased urination
- Static shocks
- Excessive thirst
This list proves that symptoms of mold illness can easily be mistaken for other illnesses and they can also go unnoticed. However, scientific evidence of 30 years point that mold can actually cause severe health problems.
What Can We Do
- Start learning about mold illness.
- You need to test your home for mold.
- Find a clinician which is trained in the Shoemaker Protocol.
We really hope you enjoyed this article and don’t forget to share it with your friends and family. Thank you and have a good one!